YOGA helps to create balance between the body and mind through the practice of yoga postures, breathing techniques and relaxation. We offer modifications in all of our classes, making the practice suitable for students of al levels. While not necessary, we do recommend that students have some knowledge of the yoga postures before attending vigorous yoga.
Our ongoing yoga classes include...Gentle Yoga, Moderate Yoga, Power Yoga, Therapeutic Chair Yoga, Yin Yoga/Meditation and Yoga Nidra. Private yoga classes are also available.
Please visit our “upcoming events” page for workshops, specialized classes and other programs offered at The Natural Path.
YOGA CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
POWER YOGA - A practice combining breath and focus, while moving continuously through a sequence of yoga postures. Designed to build and maintain internal heat; produce a cleansing sweat; expend calories; increase strength, muscle tone, flexibility, and coordination.
Modifications and posture variations are provided making this class suitable for students of all levels, including beginners.
ALL LEVELS YOGA - This is an all levels yoga class consisting of traditional yoga postures and breathing techniques designed to increase strength, muscle tone and flexibility, revitalize the body and relax the mind. Modifications are provided throughout the practice, making this class suitable for students of all levels. Beginners are welcome.
GENTLE YOGA - A peaceful practice designed to reduce stress and muscular tension, increase energy, revitalize the body and relax the mind. This class is suitable for individuals with minor injuries/limitations or very limited flexibility; during and after pregnancy; and for those seeking a gentle, stress-relieving practice. No experience is necessary.
PRENATAL YOGA -Prenatal yoga provides a relaxed and nurturing atmosphere where you can connect and bond with your baby while supporting the development and strengthening of your body and mind. This class will help to alleviate the physical discomforts of pregnancy, as well as to prepare you mentally and physically for labor and motherhood. Some common conditions that may be relieved are morning sickness, edema, sciatica, low back pain, and varicose veins. The various yoga postures are designed to help strengthen the pelvic muscles - instrumental in the birthing process, and post-birth to bring your body back to a pre-pregnancy state; exercise the spine and help reduce back pain; aid in proper digestion and circulation; regulate breathing; and relax the mind. This class is suitable for all stages of pregnancy.
YIN YOGA AND MEDITATION (all levels) - Yin Yoga is a style of yoga which focuses on the passive holding of postures for longer periods (approximately 3 to 5 minutes) for the benefit of releasing the connective tissues (ligaments, bones, and even joints) of the hips, pelvis and lower spine. No experience is necessary.
YOGA NIDRA - Yoga Nidra translates to yogic sleep. Guided by a teacher's voice, you will identify sensations in your body and focus on your breath, while remaining in a state of relaxed awareness. This will allow you to release deeply held muscular, emotional and mental tensions, some of which you may not even be aware. Yoga Nidra has been shown to strengthen the immune system; lower high blood pressure and cholesterol levels; increase helper cells that defend against infectious disease; balance the autonomic nervous system; relieve pain; balance the mind and emotions; and improve overall health and well-being.
Some conditions addressed by Yoga Nidra include...stress (the cause of most illness today), anxiety and depression, insomnia, high blood pressure, addiction, aggression, ADD, ADHD, PTSD, digestive conditions, ulcers, heart disease, asthma, eczema, diabetes, chronic pain, multiple sclerosis and cancer.
BEGINNER’S YOGA - This gentle class will introduce the beginner student to the various yoga postures (asanas), proper modifications and alignment, and will prepare the student to enter our classes with comfort and confidence.
TOP 10 REASONS TO TRY YOGA (©Yoga Alliance 2006)
1. STRESS RELIEF: Yoga reduces the physical effects of stress on the body. By encouraging relaxation, yoga helps to lower the levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Related benefits include lowering blood pressure and heart rate, improving digestion and boosting the immune system, as well as easing symptoms of conditions such as anxiety, depression, fatigue, asthma and insomnia.
2. PAIN RELIEF: Yoga can ease pain. Studies have demonstrated that practicing yoga asanas (postures), meditation or a combination of the two, reduced pain for people with conditions such as cancer, multiple sclerosis, auto-immune diseases and hypertension, as well as arthritis, back and neck pain, and other chronic conditions. Some practitioners report that even emotional pain can be eased through the practice of yoga.
3. BETTER BREATHING: Yoga teaches people to take slower, deeper breaths. This helps to improve lung function, trigger the body’s relaxation response and increase the amount of oxygen available to the body.
4. FLEXIBILITY: Yoga helps to improve flexibility and mobility, increasing range of movement and reducing aches and pains. Many people can’t touch their toes during their first yoga class. Gradually they begin to use the correct muscles. Over time, the ligaments, tendons and muscles lengthen, increasing elasticity, making more poses possible. Yoga also helps to improve body alignment resulting in better posture and helping to relieve back, neck, joint and muscle problems.
5. INCREASED STRENGTH: Yoga asanas (postures) use every muscle in the body, helping to increase strength literally from head to toe. And, while these postures strengthen the body, they also provide an additional benefit of helping to relieve muscular tension.
6. WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: Yoga (even less vigorous styles) can aid weight control efforts by reducing cortisol levels, as well as by burning excess calories and reducing stress. Yoga also encourages healthy eating habits and provides a heightened sense of well being and self esteem.
7. IMPROVED CIRCULATION: Yoga helps to improve circulation and, as a result of various poses, more efficiently moves oxygenated blood to the body’s cells.
8. CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONING: Even a gentle yoga practice can provide cardiovascular benefits by lowering resting heart rate, increasing endurance and improving oxygen uptake during exercise.
9. FOCUS ON THE PRESENT: Yoga helps us to focus on the present, to become more aware, and to help create mind-body health. It opens the way to improved concentration, coordination, reaction time and memory.
10. INNER PEACE: The meditative aspects of yoga help many to reach a deeper, more spiritual and more satisfying place in their lives. Many who begin to practice for other reasons have reported this to be a key reason that yoga has become an essential part of their daily lives.
What to expect when taking Yoga at The Natural Path...Small, well supervised classes, instructed by professionally qualified yoga teachers, ensuring that you learn safely and effectively; Instructors with the experience and knowledge needed to adapt classes to suit your individual needs. The small yoga classes we offer enable a personal interest in your progress; Instructors who are willing to answer your questions and share your growth in yoga.